Me and Who? Me and Delhi!

 
"Ye shehar nahi mehfil hai"

Delhi, also known as "Dil walo ko Dilli", is more than a city, it's an emotion in itself. The hub of hustle- bustle in every nook and corner - made up of dreams, failures, love and heartbreak of thousands, teeming with the grand monuments of the Mughal Era and the packed streets of Old Delhi; the experience is one of a kind.


Being new to Delhi, I was afraid I would never survive here. The world around me seemed fast-paced and monotonous. Everyone was always in a hurry, frowning and glancing at their watches, footsteps falling into a steady rhythm. Not soon after, I found myself jumping into this bandwagon and increasing my pace to keep up with the others. It made me miserable. All the joy had been sucked out of my life. I grit my teeth at all the posts that showed up on my social media feed, romanticising Delhi and equating it to an emotion, a home. To me, Delhi seemed like a sham that poorly covered up busy schedules and hectic lives. Almost on the verge of giving up on this city, I decided to take a break, take a step back and take to the roads less travelled. This is when Delhi opened up its arms to welcome me; it is safe to say that there was no turning back.


I found myself sitting by the lake of Lodhi Gardens and basking in the heat of the spring sun. The end of the nerve-chilling winter and the beginning of the scorching golden summer; walking amidst the pretty flowers holding his hand in the Sunder Nursery. Walking and exploring the streets of Old Delhi in my pretty Anarkali kurta and bindi felt like travelling back in time; it made me wonder about the stories that hid in the bazaars of Chandni Chowk. The Red Fort in all its glory - every brick hiding a long-forgotten piece of our history, the delicacies at Jama Masjid that would leave your mouth longing for more - Delhi has it all. I sat by the Dargah of Nizamuddin and listened to the Qawwali, and by the Bangla Sahib listening to the Gurbani, feeling the divine energy surge through me - making me feel content and at ease.


I walked by India Gate, sharing ice cream, cotton candy and papad bought from a small vendor with him. The vendor flashing his pearly whites at me when I told him he could keep the change almost made me forget the rag he was wearing - another shade of Delhi in its truest form. Talking about the most random thing and laughing at the most stupid things with him, we walked around CP, watched a movie in the Regal theatre and hooted when Shahrukh Khan came on screen. We tried to beat each other in the golgappa challenge and exchanged gola flavours while walking through Champa Gali during golden hour under the setting sun when Delhi glittered in its raw, majestic splendour.


Going to Faqir Chand alone and browsing through an ocean of books, hopping through Sarojini Nagar market and finding a cute piece of clothing all on my own shot serotonin through my veins.


Delhi made me who I am today. The little kid who lay wide awake in her bed dreaming about being independent and travelling to places and experiencing life - Delhi made it all come true for her. Delhi forces me to come out of my shell so I don't miss out on all the amazing opportunities. It taught me to believe in myself. There were moments when I felt alone but a quick run to the local tea stall and sipping tea by the roadside listening to bhaiya hum along with the radio made it all better again.


I don't frown or grind my teeth anymore when a new reel romanticising Delhi pops up in my feed. I smile, I like it and I scroll on, happy with myself for not giving up on this city because


"Yeh dilli hai mere yaar,  bas ishq mohabbat pyar".


By Abiya Ragi

2nd year, B.A. Political Science Honours


Comments

  1. This is so beautifullll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely 😍 makes me wanna take a city walk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aptly captured the essence of Delhi! :) It's a disturbing truth, though, that many of us brought up in Delhi haven't properly explored the city yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts